Change of Non-Immigrant J-1 to F-1 Student Visa

Can I change my J-1 status to F-1?

There are certain restrictions for you nonimmigrant category of J.
A J-1 exchange visitor subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement is not eligible to request a change of status to F-1 unless you have received a waiver from the US State Department. And a J-1 exchange visitor whose status is to receive graduate medical education or training is ineligible without a waiver for a change of status to an F-1.

J-2 dependents are subject to the same requirements that the J-1 is subject to, and if the J-1 has received a waiver, then the waiver also applies to the J-2 dependent. Rarely, a J-2 can obtain a foreign residence requirement waiver independent of the J-1. Provide proof of this status along with your application, such as a copy of Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, or a copy of your passport that includes the J visa stamp.

For more information about a change of status from J to F-1, please contact FastVisa.