Green Card Renewal

Why Renew/Replace Green Card?

Existing permanent residents have to renew their Green Cards every ten years. The application can be started six months before the expiration date. You can also use the same form for replacing a Green Card if your existing one has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

The 2-Year Green card cannot be renewed, but if conditional permanent residents want to remain in the US beyond the expiration date, then a petition must be filed to remove the conditions during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditions must be removed or permanent resident status will be lost.

Renewing a Green Card?

If your permanent resident card expires at the end of ten years and it will expire within the next six months, then you need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The USCIS has online e-filing and paper filing of the I-90 Form.

If you are outside the US but will be back in the US before your green card expires (within six months), then you should wait to file until you return the US and file immediately upon your return. If your green card expires before you can return to the US and you have not applied for the renewal of your green card, then you need to visit the nearest US Consulate, USCIS office, or US port of entry before filing the I-90 form to renew your green card.

The permanent resident card (Form I-155) is valid for ten years and will need to be renewed within six months of the expiration date. If you are a two-year conditional resident, then you may not renew.

Replacing Your Green Card

If your green card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, then you should file Form I-90 to replace it. There are other reasons that you may need to replace your Green Card, which may include:

  • Your green card was issued to you before your 14th birthday, and you are now at least 14 years old, and your green card will not expire before your 16th birthday.
  • You were previously a commuter but now are taking up actual residence in the US.
  • You were a permanent resident in the US but now are taking up commuter status.
  • Your status was automatically converted to permanent resident status.
  • You have an old version of the alien registration card (USCIS Form AR-3, AR-103, I-151) which is no longer valid and must obtain a new current permanent resident card.
  • Your green card has incorrect information on it.
  • Your name or any other biographical information has legally changed since you received your green card.
  • Your green card was never received when the USCIS issued it.

2-Year Green Cards

This green card allows you to work and reside in the US for two-years based on a condition. A person with this type of green card is considered a conditional permanent resident. These 2-year green cards are not renewable. Once they expire, you must leave the country immediately. But if you want to stay in the US beyond the expiration date, then you must petition to remove the condition within 90 days of the card expiration date.

The two types of conditional residency are:

  1. Family-based Conditional Permanent Resident
  2. Investor/Entrepreneur-Based Conditional Permanent Resident

Each requires a different form to remove the condition. For Family-Based or a status obtained through marriage the Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Condition on Residence, should be filed within 90 days before your conditional residence card expires. For the Investor/Entrepreneur-Based status, then you should file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.